Saturday, April 18, 2009

Seattle, It Raineth

The Missus and I spent a week in Seattle.

There is something wonderful about flying across the country, being in fear for your life as your female pilot on a twin engine regional hell wagon cuts off the tarmac at 45 degrees only to, roughly an hour and fifteen minutes later, slam back to earth with a bone jarring thud and then decelerate with such ferocity you find yourself staring at the bald spot of the man in the seat in front of you from a terribly uncomfortably close distance and what is the first thing you notice? There may be something in your teeth... but I digress.

We flew Rochester to Sea-Tac via Chicago. After the near death experience of our first flight we crawled out of our coffin, I mean airplane, and emerged into the weak morning light filtering through the glass ceiling of the O'Hare Airport. We were pulled down the length of the terminal by the promise of cinnamon and sugary release. Yes, there is a Cinnabon in O'Hare. Totally worth almost dying.

Our second flight was cramped, more then usual, and stuffy, hot, and long. What made matters worse was my complete and utter inability to sleep on either flight.

Anyway... on to Seattle.

The trip itself was fantastic. Our first few days in Seattle were spent up north near Marysville with The Missus's biological father. I don't have much to say about Marysville and I like it that way, it's quiet. The Missus's father lives in a trailer on a campground, surrounded by woods it was a great way to spend a few days, eat good, and generally relax.

We spend the next day and a half in Seattle proper, right off Pioneer square. We walked the city, spent some money, learned my card had been reported lost/stolen, and not by me, and generally had a great time.

I want to take a moment to tip my hat to King county legislators who decided to pass a law requiring all restaurants in King County to have their nutrition information available and clearly posted. It was a breath of fresh air to be able to eat out and not to have to guess about calories, sodium, and the nutritional value, or lack thereof, of my meal.

We journeyed next to the south of the city, Puyallup to be exact, go ahead say that ten times fast, I dare you. Anyway, we stayed with The Missus's maternal grandparents for Easter. Her grandmother is Japanese, with a Japanese/Southern accent that was one of the cutest things I have ever heard. Her Grandfather speaks softly with a southern drawl and would seem just at home on the veranda of a plantation house in Mississippi as in a recliner in Washington. I found them both to be wonderful people and I hope to spend ample time with them in the near future.

The Missus's aunts on the other hand.... One was tolerable, the other made me want to sodomize my ear canals with ten-penny nails. Her Uncle might have been a great guy however I saw no more then ten minutes of him the weekend due to the fact that he stayed in his room and played XBox 360.

After Grandmas we returned to Seattle proper and spent our last day in Seattle relaxing before trying to steal a few hours of sleep and returning home.

Fortunately I did not need to find God, or use the instructions printed on the safety card on either of the flights home.

All in all it was a fantastic trip and I am already looking forward to our next visit.

No comments: