Wednesday, June 10, 2009

8 Days

It's been just over a week since I "went live" and just shy of two weeks since I paid for hosting and got this insanity rolling. Back date that a bit for when I actually started working on code and you have a business that is roughly three weeks old.

Three weeks, it seems like longer.

I've come a long way in three weeks, though I've still not made a dime. My skills at web design and composition have improved by leaps and bounds, I now look back at sites I built a few months ago and balk at the crude, almost childish, design. I'm sure in a few more months time I'll go through the same process again.

Most of the issues come from a lack of understanding, a lack of time, and a lack of experience. I need the time to write the code, test the code, and develop the process's that will enable me to run a business smoothly. I see shortcomings in my code, in the way I have written things, code that is not even a month old. These shortcomings came from a lack of experience and a desire, at the time, to get anything working. Now, I find myself needing to go back and re-do, and re-test to make sure that now, when I do it right, that everything still works.

My initial flights of fancy made it seem like a walk in the park, a few contracts, paid up front, and voila, thousands come rolling in. Reality has set in, it has been a struggle, and I'm sure will continue to be a struggle. Advertising, and generating traffic to the site is painfully slow. While I am further hampered by a lack of disposable income.

I keep maintaining the belief that if I can just make that first sale, no matter how small, that would give me a little bit of money to spend, to hopefully make a little bit more money. I know that I need to sit down for hours and code, but I find it hard to devote the time. I know what I need to do, but convincing the other people in my life that it is what needs done takes some work...

Oh well, it's only been 8 days.

1 comment:

The Missus said...

You better not be referring to me as the other person, because I've been asking you what time you need to devote and respecting it, at least I thought I was. Hmph.