Monday, May 3, 2010

Kids in the Weight Room

I have no problem with kids exercising. In fact I encourage it. Also, for the sake of argument, let's say a kid is anyone under the age where the can keep track of themselves and make sure what they are doing is not in fact titanically stupid.

I work out at the YMCA on Monroe Ave. a family friendly place I assure you. However, there are a few things I've seen day in and day out that frustrate and upset me. I see parents lifting, often with little to no clue what they are actually doing, while their kids treat the weights, the treadmills, and the like as toys.

First the parents, if you don't know what you are doing, and you have no end goal, then don't waste my time, get in my way, and clutter up my weight room, because at the end of the day that's what you are. Clutter.

Second, kids. I don't care if you bring your kids with you, but your 240lb "13" year old isn't doing himself any favors by "running" for a minute, literally, on a treadmill. Either get your kids exercising for real or get them, and yourselves out of my weight room.

I was fortunate that I was taught the basics of how to act in a weight room, and the basics of how to lift. Most of those basic lifts I still do. It's not hard. If you are a fully functioning adult and you want to "get stronger" then do so. Do your research, know what you are doing, and if you don't know what you are doing then maybe asking the kid in the squat rack who's lifting damn near his body weight MIGHT just be a good person to ask.

Just saying, might be a good idea.

Anyway, long story short, get yourself, and your kids either exercising for real, with a goal, and a plan, or get out of my weight room.

No comments: