Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again

On this past Monday night I returned to Bushido Kai Judo Club. It's not a big deal, I had only been out a week, maybe week and a half but it still felt good going back.

I enjoy Judo, and how I came to practice is an interesting story in and of itself.

I began my martial journey at a young age, strip mall Karate. Not a bad school, not great, but I lacked the understanding of what I was doing, add to that I did not enjoy Kata, preferring to spar. However, at this point it did not tip me off that maybe I should be looking elsewhere....

Some years later I had the good fortune of meeting up with a gentleman while attending Onondaga Community College, Tony introduced me to Kung-Fu. With that prompting and a renewed interest in the martial arts I began looking for a Kung-Fu school. In Syracuse that left me with two options. Syracuse Wing Chun, and Syracuse Kung-Fu. I chose Syracue Wing Chun almost arbitrarilly. Two and a half years later, my training having been sporadic, I came to the same conclusion that I had come to in Karate all those years previous. I hated forms, I needed to be sparring. I began looking elsewhere in Syracuse, eventually finding a Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu school in Liverpool. Shortly there after, I had a falling out with Syracuse Martial Arts and left for greener pastures.

I spent a few months with Ken Kronenburg at Tai Kai Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu. Finally I had found something that fit, the training was hard, I felt good about what I was learning and we sparred, alot. I would still be with him except I had to return to Rochester for school, and decided to stay in Rochester.

This brings me to Bushido Kai. There are several Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu schools is Rochester. However, Bushido Kai being a not for profit club the training is incredibly cheap. Given a strained budget and a desire to keep training in an alive manner Judo seemed the best option. With a year under my belt, I've never regretted the decision. Though, with a full time job on the horizon maybe I'll pay a visit to one of the local Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu schools.... only time will tell.

No comments: