Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Obfuscating Cyberspace?

I was asked a question on my Computer Crime midterm. "Why would we want to keep certain aspects of cyberspace "dark" or "hidden" for effective crime control?"

The obvious answer is that we would not. It seems obvious that any obfuscation of cyberspace is not only impossible but would be counter productive as networking is based on known, standardized, common protocols. In fact the only reason most of our proprietary hardware even talks to each other is that we have standard protocols. HTTP, XML and SOAP come to mind. So my professor who is teaching a course on computer crime yet is so technologically stunted to not understand that the question she is asking for a midterm is ridiculous to the point of being laughable.

Now, I'll be honest. I threw together a bull shit answer that hopefully will make her happy but what upsets me is that I have to bull shit an answer. She mandated a one page response to this question so I could not get away with "It's not possible, your an idiot" that and I doubt she would have graded me too fondly with such a response.

It's just upsetting that as a technical institution like R.I.T. there are professors this technologically incompetent.

No comments: