Monday, December 8, 2008

After Action Report, or How I Will Get Better

I know it's been a little while since the club tournament but I wanted to put down my thoughts on what I did right, and what I did wrong.

My first match was against Will, I have a fair size advantage against him yet I know he's a better Judo player then me, especially on the ground. I know if I wanted to have a chance I had to stay on my feet. I promptly forgot this game plan and ended up on the ground. Instead of standing up and restarting, which would have been smart, I tried to grapple. Me, versus a collegiate wrestler, not pretty. Advice for the future.... follow the blessed game plan.

My second match was against one of my Sensei. I had an even larger weight advantage on Sensei Mike. I've thrown him in the past and have held my own on the ground. I spoke quickly with Sensei Jeff while I waited to take the mat and he told me roughly the same advice as the previous match. Don't grapple. This time I listened, I stuffed a few good throws and worked for a sweep. Several times we ended up on the ground and I was quick to stand back up and back off. I played till the two minute mark when Sensei sunk in a beautiful throw. I felt him coming in and tried to drop my hips to block the throw and simply wasn't fast enough. next thing I know I was airborne. I was told later the throw occurred in two distinct parts, the first I felt as my feet left the floor, the second was the technical throw, which resulted in me executing a perfect break fall... to bad they don't give out points for that. Advice for the future? Grip fighting is good, combos are good, I need to get faster.

I thought my performance was a huge improvement over Pittsburgh. I would have liked a victory but I guess that's going to have to wait for next time.

As I keep saying, my objective is not to be good.... it's to suck a little less each class.

No comments: