Monday, January 12, 2009

Shopping List....

I've always been fascinated by cars. I like the complexity, the parts, the bits. I always wanted to learn how to maintain, tune, rebuild a car from the frame up. However other pursuits and a general lack of tools, a car to work on, time, and a teacher all kept me from perusing a desire to learn. However, these past few months I resolved to begin learning and I have learned, I've done my brakes, front and back, my exhaust, oil changes, and a variety of other odds and ends. However, until very recently I still had no tools. So I asked for them for Christmas.

I got some of what I asked for.

I figured I would make do, that I would add to my collection as I found holes and would eventually have everything I would need. So, here's a rough list of things I want, or need, and why.

16mm Socket.



Why? Because the oil pan plug on both a '96 Honda Civic and a '99 Subaru is a 16mm bolt. What does my set NOT have? a 16mm Socket. It has a 15mm, it has a 17mm but no 16mm.

Floor Jack, Jack Stands and Creeper



Why? Because it's cold and I dislike laying on the dirty garage floor, and I dislike using the piddly tire change jack to do anything useful and I fear for my life when crawling under my vehicle if it isn't on jack stands. An alternative of course would be a set of ramps. Either would work.

Lastly, a shop light.



Why? Because it get's dark under a Civic. My garage has no lights, and it's usually dark by the time I get home.

That's more or less it right now. I know it's just a start but it's what I need right now. Everything else is a luxury and can wait. I guess I'm going shopping tomorrow!

No comments: