Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Support Us!

I've been on Engineering Support for just under four weeks. Engineering Support is a task in which regular Engineers, like me, get rotated into a triage type position. usually for one or two weeks at a time.

I've been here a month.

Now, it is partially my fault. As last year wound down I volunteered for a support rotation, I was running out of work and feeling underutilized and was looking for anything I could do. So, I went on a two week support rotation. What I didn't know is that I had been scheduled for Support the first two weeks of January. Not that it would have changed my decision but it would have been nice to know.

Now, three and a half weeks in I'm seriously beginning to doubt my sanity. Bug report numbers blur, customer complaints begin to ring hollow like gnats buzzing in my ears and the stupidity, the death of brain cells I have suffered should net me some sort of compensation, most likely in the thousands of dollars range....

At least I'm getting paid.

Three and a half more days.... 29 hours... then I can go back to being just another Engineer in a cube, anonymity is a good thing I guess.

No comments: