Friday, August 21, 2009

Ok, let's try this again

Life has gotten hectic lately. I seem to be saying that a lot, and it's all true. But I'm taking steps to get things back in balance, and with some luck get moving in the right direction.

I've been off my diet for months, and the weight has come back. Not entirely, but close. I'm not happy with that at all. I've also gotten so wrapped up in side work that I'm forgetting, or forfeiting, my exercise to get other things done. That stops today.

I'm also back on Fit Day and I've set myself a much more reasonable weight goal, over a much longer span of time.

I've ordered The Naked Warrior, a book on body weight exercises for strength training. My reasoning is simple, I do not have the consistent motivation to drive to R.I.T. three+ times a week to work out. I need a program that requires little to no equipment, and that I can do anywhere, anytime, on a moments notice. Body weight exercises are the only thing that fits that bill.

I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about Judo, and if I want to get back to competing. I've decided I do. Going to the Pennsylvania Open, and two club tournaments and getting pinned or thrown every match hurt my pride, a lot. It also made me question the worth of competing in light of the cost incurred. There was a long while when I simply did not think it was worth my time to compete, given that I felt a loss was a sure thing. I still don't think I'm ready, but the only way to find out is to try. I'm debating going back to Saunders BJJ to get more ground work training as that is a HUGE weakness in my game. Time, and money, will tell.

Lastly, cars. I've been fixing up the 96 Honda Civic, and the 99 Subaru Outback. I've learned a ton, spent a fair amount of money on parts and tools, but most importantly I've rediscovered a love of working with my hands that has lain dormant for far too long. There is a sense of accomplishment when you fix something tangible, physical, that there simply is no digital analog for. It's a good feeling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.