Sunday, October 4, 2009

It's a Secret

I started reading PostSecret a month and a half ago. Most of the "secrets" are cute, funny, benign, or just... odd. However, every now and again one comes across the screen that makes me pause, or think, or just makes me sad. It's not often I'm moved to comment but I saw this and simply had to say something.


At first I was taken aback, saddened by the confession, the fact that someone could be so uncaring to effect another person in such a fashion, but then I sat and thought for a moment and really asked myself why did it bother me. I did not identify with the situation directly, so why did it upset me. Why did it effect me in such a visceral manner?

It was not an easy thing...

I understand the longing. I understand wanting to go back in time, to do things you did not get a chance to do, and I understand regretting opportunities missed. I understand laying awake at night and wondering "what if?" I wonder if, had I made different choices, would I have been happier? Sadder? Or would I still have ended up in Rochester, still ended up working where I am. Could I really have changed things? Or, would I have just ruined what I had?

I'll never know.

No comments: