Sunday, November 8, 2009

Digital Backup

These are the vows Jackie and I wrote for our wedding, they were spoken prior to an agreed upon set of Humanist vows. I wanted to make sure I had them backed up, so I'm putting them here for safe keeping.

Jackie

You once told me that if I did not propose I was in danger of being kicked to the curb. Fortunately, I had been debating proposing for months before entering, what I called, "curb kicking range" however, I was scared. I was afraid of the unknown, afraid of committing to a relationship that has had it's ups and downs. Yet, as I drove down to Ithaca to pick up your ring I knew, despite the jitters, that I was doing the right thing. You know I look to avoid risk at all costs, that I would rather take the long, safe, road then the unknown path. Yet, when I'm with you the risk doesn't seem so scary, things just seem to work out. It's like you always tell me, "We will make it work"

If I've learned anything in the years I've been with you it is that, we will make it work. I love you. I have looked forward to this day for years, ever since a glass of water, and a kiss in your parents kitchen. I did not know then that we would be standing here one day, but I knew in that instant I had found someone magical, someone perfect. You.

You know I don't make promises lightly, yet I want to make a few simple promises to you today. I promise to love you, through the good times, the bad times, and all the times in-between. I promise to talk, always to talk, even when it's hard, even when I'm scared. I promise to trust you, and to take the risks, because with you they will always work out. I promise to keep your toes warm and your shoulders covered on cold winter nights. I promise to remember the fabric softener, and to not leave clothes in the dryer. I promise to always have a gallon of milk in the fridge, and I'll try to remember to refill the water jug. Lastly, I promise to be there for you, every day, for the rest of our lives, and to never leave you again. I love you Miss Jacqueline Kay Corp, and today you have made me the happiest man alive.

And now, Jackies vows:

Christopher:

I spent many hours debating what I wanted to say to you, and if I was comfortable saying it in public. If you’re hearing these words, that means I made it past those points. That’s what I’m so grateful for when I’m with you: you always help me past ‘those’ points. I remember when you started to court me, you asked me for my phone number to call me. I laughed and told you I was listed in the directory, but you said you wanted to hear the number come from me. I think it was a matter of pride for you to hear me say it. I blushed and looked at you. I wouldn’t have told anyone else ‘469-8872’ if they had asked. I would have said, “Look it up, it won’t kill you.” But that’s what you do to me. You give me strength, and a faith in myself that no-one else can. It is because of this that I said yes to this whole….commitment. I love you. I promise you that. I also promise to always respect you, to continue to hold my tongue when you spout off some foolish idea. I promise to laugh with you, and grow with you. I promise to treat you as the first priority in my life, though I may need some reminding. I promise to harass you about cleaning the cat’s litter box, every day, until it gets done. But on the flip side, I promise to protect you from the kitties and their epic battles, even if it is hilarious to watch you get climbed on…I don’t know what else to say. Oh yeah. For all the times you’ll never hear it when we inevitably fight: I’m sorry. I do love you. And no, those pants don’t make you look fat.

No comments: