Wednesday, March 21, 2012

12 Week Experiment: Week 2

I had a slight hiccup week 1, so I doubled up a workout to start week 2. Once the weights get higher I won't be able to do that, but at the moment the only ill effects I have from back-to-back workouts is a bit of tenderness in my shoulders.

Week 2, day 1, last night was a total of 22 minutes from start to finish. Just goes to show that when the gym is empty, and you know what you're doing you can get in, and out, really quickly.

My weights for Week 2 are as follows:

Day 1: B
Squat: 110lbs.
Press: 55lbs.
Deadlift: 105lbs.

Day 2: A
Squat: 115lbs.
Bench: 110lbs.
Upright Row: 65lbs.

Day 3: B
Squat: 120lbs.
Press: 60lbs.
Deadlift: 115lbs.

One thing I noticed. I should be deadlifting roughly 1.5 times my squat. Lifting a weight from the ground to hip height is easier then a full high-bar squat. However, with my starting weights, until I de-load, my squats will always be slightly heavier. I'm not terribly worried though. My lower back has always been an issue for me, and deadlifts, with a steady increase in weight should help that.

I bumped my Day 2 Row up 5lbs to 65 lbs. For an upright row the bar needs to come to rest between each rep. The smallest bumper plate my gym has is 10lbs. So, 65lbs is the smallest amount I can row without needing to cobble together a riser of some sort. So, I "cheated" and went from 55lbs, to 65lbs. The lifts were still easy, and I'm progressing well.

No comments: